- 1/3 to a 1/2 of a pool noodle
- A bandana
- Index Cards
- 30-60 second egg timer or multi-media countdown clock
Quick explanation: An upfront player, the “unicorn” using only their magical “horn” (pool noodle) tied to their heard, will have to try to spell out a word in the air, that their team can then work to guess.
Before the Game:
- Cut a pool noodle in 1/3 or half, keeping only a couple foot portion for the game
- Write down clue words to be spelled on the index cards (*samples below)
- Divide the group up into 2 large teams.
- Have each team go to one side or the other of the main meeting space but still facing forward.
- Give the “quick explanation” and rules.
- Ask for a volunteer from the first team to come.
- Tie the pool noodle to their forehead with the bandana and show them the clue.
- On “Go” the upfront person using only their unicorn horn, must try to spell out their word in midair.
- The team must then try to correctly guess the word that is being spelled in the time allowed.
- Player upfront cannot say anything or make noise
- If a team does not guess the clue correctly in the time allowed the other team has a chance to “steal” deciding by as a group on one guess.
- For each correct guess, the team gets one point
- The winning team is the team that has the most point/ correct guess overall
Spelling Word Clue Suggestions: (depending on age)
- Easy: “Cat”, “Dog”, “Bat”….
- Medium: “Apple”, “Phone”, “Bible”, “Jesus”…
- Hard: “Lollipop”, “Airplane”, “Disciple”…* Suggestion: Use as part of a review game, using words from a current lesson that is being taught