10. “Walk It Off….“- Sometimes in ministry you are going to get hurt and you might just need to walk away before you say something you shouldn’t?
9. “This Hurts Me More Than It Hurts You” – Discipline and correction in not fun for anyone, but is needed to make us better at what we do.
8. “Put Your Big Boy (girl) Pants On…” – We work with students, but we are not students. We need to act like the adult we are.
7. “Rip It Off Quick, It Will Hurt Less” – Conversation and difficult situations in ministry are best handle when we get right to the point and deal with things directly and immediately.
6. “Kids These Days Have It Easy!” – Youth ministry has been around awhile now, it honestly in SOME ways is easier than it was when it first started, it is good to remember that?
5. “Money Doesn’t Grow on Trees!” – Budget wisely and be a good steward of whatever youth budget your church has for you.
4. “If It Ain’t Broke Don’t Fix It” – Don’t change things, just to change things. Sometimes “Sacred Cows” are still giving some “sacred milk” even if we don’t like it?
3. “Put It Back Where You Found It”– If you borrow or use someone else’s stuff (resource, lesson, game) make sure to give credit. Borrowing and Stealing are two different things.
2. “A Little Bit of Dirt Never Hurt Anybody” – Youth ministry is not just about sitting in the office praying and reading your Bible. You need to get out and get down in the dirt of life with students.
1. “Either You’re Called or Your Crazy!” (*Something my own dad, a pastor, personally, always use to say to me.) If you are doing youth ministry because it is a job, pay check, a way to escape getting a ‘real job’ or for any other reason other than it is God’s Personal Calling on Your Life.…YOU ARE CRAZY!